NEW MEXICO MUSEUM OF ART RENNOVATION AND EXPANSION
Santa Fe, New Mexico
In association with Edward Larrabee Barnes
The 1917 Museum of Fine Arts graces a strategic site in the heart of Santa Fe’s historic district. By 1980, the original quality of the structure had seriously deteriorated through neglect and improper alterations. Administrative, service, and exhibition areas were all inadequate to meet the needs of a modern museum.
The program mandated extensive renovation and preservation of the existing 47,000 square foot structure, addition of 13,000 square feet of gallery and storage, and integration of 13,000 square feet of exterior spaces.
Restoration of the museum entailed both exterior and interior interventions. Through careful research and excavations, the polychrome chip carvings, vigas and stucco have been refurbished to match historical conditions. Thermally sound, operable wood windows replace and replicate the original fenestration. On the interior, the original skylighting was uncovered and screened to permit filtered natural light to enter galleries.
This meticulous restoration is complemented by the new gallery which represents the first phase in a four gallery master plan and provides the facility with a modern, climate-controlled space. These new and renovated spaces have permitted the exhibition of traveling shows of works by major artists including Robert Rauschenberg, Georgia O’Keefe, Paul Sarkisian, Agnes Martin, and Bruce Nauman.